I had my alarm set for 4:30 so that we could leave by 5:15. I woke up often during the night, but actually got a pretty good night's sleep. Then, the phone rang at 4:15. It was the hospital. They said all of their labor and delivery rooms were full and they would call back at 8:00 with a time that we could come. I did ask if they thought I would still get to deliver that day and they said yes, just that we would be delayed.
So Brian and I pittled around the house for a little bit. I finally layed back down about 6:00 and fell asleep. I planned on getting up around 7 to take my shower and get ready. I was sleeping really well. In the mean time, Troy had waken up, and he and Brian were cuddling and asleep on the couch. The phone rang at 7:00. I was sound asleep and had a hard time waking up so Brian got to the phone. They told him for us to leave then and be there by 8:00.
We both rushed to get in the shower and leave so that we would make it before our room was given away. Brian was a little stressed because he does not like being late at all. I did talk Brian into letting us take a picture before we left.
After being stuck in traffic for an hour, we finally got to the hospital at 8:30. When Brian pulled up to the door and we got out to get our things, Brian opened the door where Troy was sitting and Troy had thrown up all over himself. We had dressed Troy in a cute Big Brother shirt, and he had thrown up ALL over it and his seat. We stripped him down naked and tried to wipe him off. Needless to say, he also stunk. By this point, Brian was extremely frustrated, we were really late now. Finally, we got him dressed in something else and went inside. My mom and Brian's mom were there waiting on us, so they took Troy and I went back to the nurses station while Brian parked the car.

Finally, at 9:00 I was in a labor and delivery room. Dr. Ross came in and checked me and I was 3cm dilated and 80% effaced and -2 station. They started the pitocin at 9:15. The nurse said that she would start on a low dosage and bump it up every 15 minutes. However, they were extremely busy, so it didn't get bumped up until 10:15. I'm not sure the next time they bumped it up, but at 12:45 I was only 7 cm dilated, and that's when I got the epidural. I never did feel like the contractions really "hurt" at that point, but I didn't want to take the chance that I would wait too late and the memory of the pain from Troy's birth scared me.
Dr Ross stopped by at 2:00 and told us he had to leave. Finally, around 3:15, I could feel a difference in where Kaylee was located, so I told the nurse. She checked me and sure enough I was "complete" and ready to start pushing. She got everything ready and we started pushing at 3:30...Brian's goal was for her to be born by 4:00. Kaylee was born at 4:02 (and probably would have been born by 4:00, but we had to wait on Dr. Campbell to get in room). I know I've said all along that Troy was an easy birth, much easier than I know other women go through, and I'm thankful that Kaylee was even easier. Even though we had a longer labor period waiting on me to get fully dilated, the actual birthing part was much easier and pretty much pain free.
After she was born, it was such a great feeling holding her. She didn't cry right away which was scary, but she was fine. Her Apgar scores was 8 and 9. Brian took pictures of her getting weighed, and wiped down. She weighed 7 pounds and 14 ounces and was 21 1/2 inches long. One of Brian's fears was that we had trusted one ultrasound tech that it was a girl and that the baby would get here and be a boy. While the nurses were testing her and "cleaning" her up, Brian finally asked, "I haven't seen her parts, is it a girl?".
We finally let family come in and see her about 45 minutes later. Little did we know, we would be in the labor and delivery room for a while...there were no rooms upstairs. Finally at 8:30, we got in a room upstairs. We were the last couple to get a regular room, there were 8 other couples that night that had to stay in their labor and delivery room over night.
Once we got to our room and got settled, the nurses finally gave Kaylee a bath at 10:00. We finally got to bed around midnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment