Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Officially Potty Trained

In the words of Troy Bone, "I am officially potty trained". 

I first have to say that he has been potty training at daycare since probably December.  On the weekends, it was hit or miss for us (and a lot of it was quite honestly our fault, we just didn't push him).  His daycare teacher said that most days he stays completely dry in his pull up, but they go to the bathroom every two hours and it's scheduled and all the kids in his class do that.  We just weren't that disciplined at home.

With summer being here, I knew it was time to push it at home. We started last Monday with wearing underwear and with the potty chart.  I told him that we would fill in a star everytime he went to the potty and if he filled up his potty chart, he could get whatever toy he wanted.  He immediately said he wanted a baseball bat.  So all week, we talked about the baseball bat and worked hard at going to the potty.  He was so excited to get his stars that sometimes he would try to fill in the chart himself (as you can see in the second picture).

By Thursday, his potty chart was completely filled in...well, all but one star....but I had errands to run, so we went ahead and went to Walmart too so that he could get his baseball bat.  I let him pick which one he wanted, and of course he picked the red one.  I put it in the buggy and told him he couldn't have it until he got his one more star (and I prayed he wouldn't have an accident until he got home).




We made it home and he went to the potty one more time and he did it.  He earned his baseball bat.  He was so proud of himself.  I also bought him more underwear and he put his underwear in his diaper drawer, which made me laugh....it was like he was saying goodbye to diapers.




My only concern is public restrooms, he is not a big fan of public restrooms.  I have taken him into several just so he can see them, but he has not wanted to use them.  He did great in nursery on Sunday.  Brian went to check on him between Sunday school and church, and Troy went to the potty there.  Brian went to check on him again about an hour later and he had already told the nursery worker that he needed to go potty and he let her take him.  He did great at daycare on Tuesday too and stayed dry all day in his underwear. 

He still wears diapers at night, and he doesn't seem to mind.  The first thing out of his mouth every morning now is "I want unnerwear"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Kaylee's Recitals

Kaylee had a very busy day on recital day.  She had three recitals - one dance recital and two baton recitals.    Her recital was dance and ...