The next week at class (without me knowing), she asked her teacher if she could try out, and her teacher told her yes. When Kaylee told me that, I thought oh goodness, her teacher didn't want to break her heart and told that it was ok. I told Kaylee I would talk to her teacher about it and see what she says.
So the next week after class, I talked to Kaylee's teacher about her trying out. Her teacher told me how hard Kaylee worked in class and how Kaylee is always doing what she's supposed to be doing and that she had in fact encouraged Kaylee to try out. I talked to Kaylee about it again and told her that I would let her try out, but that meant she had to practice more at home (up until then, she never really practiced at home). I asked Kaylee if she wanted me to remind her to practice and Kaylee said yes.
The next four weeks, they had an extra practice day for the students to prepare for tryouts. After every class, Kaylee was excited and said she still wanted to try out. At home, I often asked Kaylee if she wanted to practice, and to my surprise, she did every time without whining. She even let me help her some and made adjustements as needed.
Tryout day finally came and Kaylee tried out. Afterwards, I asked her how she did and she said she felt like she did "good." That night, Kaylee was awfully quiet. I figured she was just nervous. She laid in her bed and even went to bed early. A little while after she went to bed, she came and got me because she had thrown up every where....all over her bed, all over herself, and even on the floor. I still don't know if she was sick, or if her nerves just got the best of her.
Later that week, we found out she made the beginner baton team. I'm excited for her. Her persistance sometimes drives me crazy when she asks for the same thing over and over and I keep telling her no, but her persistance in this case paid off for her. Ever since making the team, if I remind her to get her baton and practice, she does. I have seen definite improvement the last two months and can't wait to see her grow more as a baton twirler this year.

No comments:
Post a Comment