The whole point of this blog is to keep a family book of our events..that includes the ups and downs. On Mother's Day, Brian's dad passed away. Finding the words to write about that is tough. He has been sick off and on for a couple of years. In fact, last May, Brian got to spend time quality time with him every day helping take care of him.
Earlier this month, he was put back in the hospital. Still, nothing can prepare you for that actual hour. We were all in the hospital room with him when he passed and my last memory of him was the way he looked up at Brian's mom. I got there later than everyone else did, and when I walked into the room, he was gazing up at her with beautiful eyes. It was a look of love, of thanks, and of peace. His eyes weren't open long but long enough for me to see that look.
The funeral was very touching. Brian's fraternity brothers and Blake were the pall bearers. Watching Brian's brothers carry his dad spoke volumes to me. Of the six bothers, only two live in Birmingham, the others traveled just to support Brian. To see that friendship was such a blessing to me - to know that my husband has those kind of friends that will drop everything and rally behind him. That image of them carrying the casket still brings tears to my eyes.
Uncle Larry (Brian's dad's brother) spoke at the funeral and shared precious memories of Bob. It was fun to hear stories of him growing up. Jaime also spoke at the funeral and spoke sweet words to each grandchild. He loved his grandchildren! I clearly remember when his first was born (Blake). Brian's dad was ecstatic. I can stil hear him say, "that's my boy." He had a special connection with each one of them and I'm heartbroken that my kids will never get to know him. He truly loved watching them play. I'm so glad that he got to see Troy...there was a time when we didn't think he would even get to see Troy and he got to meet both of our children, so I am thankful for that. Troy will carry on the Bone name and I know that Brian's dad was relieved. He was the first one to know Kaylee's name. He knew that we wanted Lee in her name and said he saw Kaylee on tv and it would be the perfect name. Brian and I confessed to him that that was a name we were considering.
Brian's parents have lived several places since we've been married, and I'm so thankful that their last home was in Birmingham and we got to spend lots of time with his dad before he died. My last memory of him at his house was on a Sunday two weeks before he died. He did not feel well that day and when we walked out I told Brian that might be the last time the kids saw him. I told Troy to go tell his grandpa "bye". Troy took off running to his grandpa, hugged his legs, smiling the entire time. It was so sweet.
Thursday, May 31, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kaylee's Recitals
Kaylee had a very busy day on recital day. She had three recitals - one dance recital and two baton recitals. Her recital was dance and ...
-
Today was Kaylee and Troy's last day of school...they couldn't miss the last day - they had perfect attendance for the entire year. ...
-
Troy got to participate in his first field day. He ran in the 50 yard dash, participated in the balloon toss, the sponge soak line, and ...
-
What a fun day we had at Six Flags! I was so excited to take the kids somewhere I LOVED growing up. I think Kaylee will definitely be my r...
Dawn, How beautiful - Thank you
ReplyDeleteSally